Wednesday 25 June 2014

Strip quilt detail.

Last time I said I would show in detail, the wonderful quilt top my strip bee friends made. After a year on the road it has returned home having been transformed into a beautiful quilt top.

 
I started with the row of wonky houses and then sent it off on its journey.
The first stop was with Fran who added a row of sweet little trees. I'm pleased that the houses look out onto a beautiful wooded area.



Next stop was with Jen who made a row of beautiful butterflies to flutter over the roof tops.
Jen designed the pattern herself. The wings are paper pieced and the sky made using a template.







Amy was the next to work her magic. Another talented lady who also used her own design, a row of beautiful roses for the neighbourhood.




The street is a very happy place, so, during its stay on the island of Jersey Sarah added a row of hearts. As Sarah put it, she included "a little bit of love shining down on the street".


Every street needs some kitty cat residents, the ones here even ride bicycles. They must be very posh cats as they come from Liberty no less!


Finally it was Julie's turn.She paper pieced some perfect little birds to fly over head, they even have their own house too, but as Julie pointed out she thinks the opening may be a bit too small for them to fly into!



I couldn't be more pleased with my new quilt top. Thanks so much to Fran, Jen, Amy, Sarah and Julie for all the hard work they put into it. It's been such a fun swap and I'm so glad you all agreed to join.

It's now up to me to finish it. I'm planning on hand quilting but must admit I'm rather nervous about sewing into their beautiful work, I think I'll start with my row.......
 Linking up with WIP Wednesday and Needle and Thread Thursday, links to both of these in side bar.

Maria.

17 comments:

niniandthesea said...

This is awesome! I love the butterflies row! Good luck finishing it up!

Kaja said...

Really nice - I think hand quilting will work really well here too.

dq said...

Love LOVE love THIS QUILT TOP!! I am especially partial to the trees and the houses. I am a row quilt designer, so this little cutie really caught my eye.

Mari said...

Wow! What great and talented friends you have. Love the birds especially--all those tiny pieces!

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing quilt! I love this so much - every row is unbelievably adorable. I have never paper pieced but really want to do it - the trees and hearts look fairly do-able for me - the birds however look fairly advanced. I love this quilt - did I already say that! I do!
Pauline

perry94022 at hotmail dot com

Karyn said...

Very pretty. I have often thought about a row by row quilt.

Lea said...

Everyone did a beautiful job. Such a lovely quilt! All of the rows are fabulous. I especially like the birds and houses.

Glinda ♥ said...

A beautiful quilt, Maria, think I'll see how you quilt yours first before I start on mine!

Fran said...

Am so enjoying reliving the weekend through all the blog posts!

Katharine Yates said...

That's a great top! All of the rows have come together so well, what a nice idea.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

My Gosh! The work that was put into your quilt is amazing. Such beautiful work and pretty fabrics. Each row is like a work of art. I just love the birds. I cannot wait to see it quilted and finished.

Unknown said...

My, this is truly adorable! I love the concept and it would make a super cute baby or child's quilt, too.

Sonia said...

It's gorgeous Maria! Have you had any thoughts about how to quilt it yet?!

Maryse said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful work!

Cathy said...

What a fabulous row quilt with so many quilty friend memoreies!! Love it!

Lauren Deel said...

Wow! This is wonderful!

Mack and Mabel said...

It was you who inspired us all with your first row of houses, Maria. I love the story you've added to it. I shall definitely add a "street" quilt to my bucket list now!